E-Mobility Week in Africa,
20-24 March 2023
About the event
We kindly invite you to a week on electric mobility in Africa to be held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania from 20 - 24 March 2023, jointly organized by SOLUTIONSplus, the Africa Support and Investment Platform for E-mobility led by UNEP and TUMI E-bus Mission. A preliminary agenda can be found below. We kindly request your confirmation with the dates you will be joining us by 15 February 2023.
20 March 2023 9am-5pm: Tanzania E-mobility Data and Policy by SOLUTIONSplus
Target Groups: E-mobility stakeholders in Tanzania and by invitation only.
SOLUTIONSplus brings together highly committed cities, industry, research, implementing organisations and finance partners and establishes a global platform for shared, public and commercial e-mobility solutions to kick start the transition towards low-carbon urban mobility. Funded by the EU, the flagship project implements e-mobility solutions for the first and last mile (electric two and three-wheelers for passenger services), urban deliveries, electric buses, innovative charging solutions and multimodal journey planners in ten partner cities and has initiated replication actions in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
In Dar es Salaam, the pilot promotes the electrification of three-wheelers providing passenger feeder services to the bus rapid transit system (BRT) and tests innovative electric modes in the form of pedal-assist electric bicycles used for urban deliveries. The project also gathers impact assessment data and provides recommendations on electric mobility policies.
This event will focus on:
• Data collected to electrify feeder bajajs in Dar es Salaam and data needs
• Tanzania E-mobility barriers and policy recommendations
• Introduction of the proposal for a Tanzania National Urban Mobility Plan and Policies
• Case study of the E-mobility Roadmap being developed in Kenya
• Proposal for the E-mobility City Roadmap for Dar es Salaam
20 March 2023 2pm-5pm: Improving the Circularity of E-bus Batteries
Target groups: Decision-makers around procurement and operation of e-buses; decision-makers around product standards and hazardous waste management
The TUMI E-bus Mission supports cities in their ambitions for more sustainable urban transport systems. While aspects around the deployment of e-buses is at the core of TUMI’s activities, there will be the time where buses and their batteries are worn down and must be decommissioned. E-buses are equipped with several hundred kilograms of batteries, which will be classified as hazardous waste at their end-of-life. To avoid undue environmental and economic burden to municipalities, operators and society, various aspects around end-of-life management of buses and batteries can already be anticipated during the procurement and operation phase. Ideally, buses and their batteries are managed in a way, all components and materials are used as long as possible and – once obsolete – are given to high-standard recycling. In order to support related efforts, the TUMI E-Bus Mission commissioned the Oeko-Institute to develop a measures catalogue for inclusion of circular economy principles into E-Bus planning and procurement.
This session will focus on:
• The links between circular economy and e-buses
• Measures to improve the circularity of e-buses and their batteries
• Receiving feedback from governments, municipalities, transit agencies and e-bus operators on the measures catalogue
21 March 2023 9am-5pm: Meeting of the Africa Support and Investment Platform for E-mobility by UNEP
Target groups: Decision-makers from national and local government, companies and financiers interested in e-mobility
The Africa Support and Investment platform is the centre of knowledge on electric mobility in the region. It supports countries and cities in Africa with the shift to electric mobility through developing electric mobility projects, sharing knowledge and building capacity for their implementation as well as creating opportunities for wider uptake of electric mobility in the region. Its objective is to become the leading e-mobility marketplace in Africa where potential project concepts meet and match potential financiers and technology suppliers.
This meeting will focus on:
▪ Introducing the African E-mobility Country Projects financed by the Global Environmental Facility (GEF)
▪ Presenting feasibility studies for e-bus projects in Africa developed by TUMI E-bus mission
22-24 March 2023:Training on Electric Buses by UITP Academy
Target groups: Staff from public transport operators or authorities planning to introduce electric buses in their public transport system, policymakers and ministry staff involved in the uptake of electric buses and eager to learn more from international best practice
In this 2.5 day ISO certified training programme you will learn to:
▪ Introduce an electric bus solution, the different types of technologies and compare their benefits and drawbacks
▪ Understand how to get value from electric buses looking at their economic, environmental and societal feasibility
▪ Understand how to develop an operational and charging strategy
▪ Learn from experience on how to plan, implement and run electric bus lines successfully
▪ Understand the implications for operations and infrastructure
▪ Learn from successful major international electric bus project implementations including electric bus system procurement
The event will be held in Tanzania in English with simultaneous translation to French. However, to better interact with participants having a good level of English is an advantage.
Information about the event venue and transport will be shared upon receiving confirmation of the final number of participants.
Contact: Annika Berlin at firstname.lastname@example.org